Sunday, January 10, 2010

a glance back at the noughts;

A lot can happen in a decade.
A lot, and it passes so quickly. Barely a chance to say hello and goodbye.

a few highlights and dark patches;

- 2000: Spent Christmas of 1999 in the new house on Chase Ave. in Rogers Park.
Celebrated New Years Eve at the Metro with Jane and another couple. The Flaming Lips w/ a reunited Hum. Unbelievable show.

- 2001: I turn 40. Big party at Leona's. Very nice time. Find out my father has prostate cancer. Surgery follows.

- 2002: I begin training at Improv Olympic. Spend the next 9 months studying ensemble improvisation. The family adopts a stray Shih-Tsu and call her Lucy. My fathers' cancer returns. He begins chemo and radiation therapy sessions.

- 2003: My marriage to Jane ends after 13 years. I break ties with the community of people she associated with. I audition for an improv troupe and co-found International Stinger. I start smoking cigarettes again (oof!)

- 2004: My father passes away at age 69. My dog Ozzi has to be euthanized at age 15.
Focus on work, single parenthood, and improv. GREAT year of improv and Stinger. First DSIF, Monday Show rehearsals and first 8 week run.

- 2005: Lots of work, Spring trip to Disneyworld with my mom and the kids. More great improv with Stinger. We gain membership status at the Playground Theater and rank as a top troupe. Another glorious Monday Show run. Standing ovation at DSIF!

- 2006: Meet Leslie in September. Wonderful lady, good changes happening. Road trip to KC. Lots of good Stinger shows. . My dog Alma is put down. She was 16.

- 2007: Romantic year. Week-long trip to Philadelphia with Leslie in May, then to Tulum for a wedding in the Fall. Dwynna turns 13; officially a teenager. Work picks up on remodeling my home. Massive bathroom demo and remodel at my house. Last DSIF trip with Stinger. Coach Bob and member Stacey move to Portland.

- 2008: I adopt a stray cat, and call her Scully. Leslie moves in with me. Stinger goes to Toronto Improv Festival. I take a break from Improv after 6 years. Lots of work on the house. The country elects Obama as its first black President.

- 2009: Buy new Mac Pro, printer, 30" monitor. Invested in 3D software. Economy tanks, unexpected sewage issue, debts build to boiling point. Celebrate 10 years at 1340 West Chase Ave.
______

..Kind of a cursory examination I suppose. Some pretty sad times in there. A few intentionally not mentioned. And glorious moments too. Lots of them. All formative years, and much of it blurred by how quickly it has passed. Seemingly faster than any other decade in my life.
In fact, I know there will be things I'll remember later that didn't make the above summarization. Even special moments.

But glancing back and looking ahead, this is about making better years ahead. Being with Leslie, and being with my children more. A better year, and a better future. Winds of change are blowing. Good ones.

So long, noughts. It has been quite a ride.

No comments: