Thursday, August 7, 2008

looking ahead

The work has been flowing back in over the past week, and I'm Coming out of this year's slow time, business-wise.
Work flow dropped off around the end of June, and though I took in projects throughout July I had quite a bit of down time. It's pretty typical and has been the pattern (more or less) over the last 15 years. Lots of people in the toy industry take holidays around then, but it's also around the time that most of the conceptual work starts going in
to engineering and production. Usually I just tighten the belt another notch, enjoy the break, and work on other art projects to stretch some creative muscles.

I'm hoping to buy a new Mac Pro and a Cintiq monitor/easel this year, along with 3D software like Rhino and Mudbox. The strategy is to start becoming more full service in developing concepts, but it'll open so many other doors for me creatively. Essentially, I'll have the tools to model, sculpt, and render anything I can conceive. The objects can be turned at any angle, and look photographic when rendered. The files can also be saved in an stl (Stereolithography) format, and I can commission a model shop to produce a precise 3 Dimensional version.
My mind reels at the possibilities.
I'm already overdue for a new Mac (I'm still on a G4 for crissake!), and the Cintiq easels are coming down to reasonable prices. It's time to trade up.
The afore-posted 'bathroom remodel' has dragged on, but is wrapping up and it's looking fantastic. Unfortunately these projects take more time and money than predicted and it has putting a damper on my 'computer upgrade' agenda. It's somewhat frustrating, but I'm so used to working with what I have that I'm slogging through okay, trying to be patient.

The summer has absolutely flown by. I can't believe it's August already. Maybe it's all the rain we've had, but it seems Spring has decided to engage Summer in a 'turf war'. I don't mind actually. I don't care much for the brown lawns of late summer heat and drought.
Also, school starts up for the kids in a few weeks and it will be a good thing for us all.

And have I ever mentioned how much I love Autumn?

Well, I do.

No comments: